By Janet Carsten
Unique in concentration and overseas in scope, this publication brings jointly 10 essays in regards to the fabric, metaphorical, and symbolic value of blood.
- An interdisciplinary research that unites the paintings of famous historians and anthropologists
- Incorporates insights from fresh paintings in symbolism, kinship reports, clinical anthropology, the anthropology of faith, the sociological research of finance, and textual analysis
- Covers subject matters resembling Medieval eu conceptions of blood; blood and the mind; blood and the cultural examine of finance; and blood varieties, id, and organization in twentieth-century America
Read or Download Blood Will Out: Essays on Liquid Transfers and Flows PDF
Similar cultural books
Ethnographic examine is key to the self-discipline of anthropology. even though, modern debate on issues similar to modernism/postmodernism, subjectivity/objectivity and self/other positioned the worth of fieldwork into query. Reflexive Ethnography offers a pragmatic and accomplished consultant to ethnographic examine equipment which absolutely engages with those major matters.
In analyzing the adjustments that experience taken position within the mystery cosmological lore transmitted in male initiation ceremonies one of the Mountain okay of internal New Guinea, this booklet deals a brand new approach of explaining how cultural switch happens. Professor Barth makes a speciality of accounting for the neighborhood adaptations in cosmological traditions that exist one of the okay humans, who another way percentage mostly comparable cultures.
The amount investigates the visualization of either ritual and ornamental features of auspiciousness and security within the type of celestial characters in artwork and structure. In doing so, it covers greater than and a part millennia and a vast geographical quarter, documenting a tradition present in approximately each nook of the area.
This booklet is a examine of the function of cultural and historical past networks and the way they could support associations and their host societies deal with the tensions and appreciate the possibilities coming up from migration. In previous and rising demanding situations of social inclusion and cultural discussion, hybrid types of cultural id, citizenship and nationwide belonging, the examine additionally units out to respond to the questions 'how'.
- Cross-Cultural Design. Cultural Differences in Everyday Life: 5th International Conference, CCD 2013, Held as Part of HCI International 2013, Las Vegas, NV, USA, July 21-26, 2013, Proceedings, Part II
- Cultural Cleansing in Iraq: Why Museums Were Looted, Libraries Burned and Academics Murdered
- Turning Point in China, an Essay on the Cultural Revolution
- The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition
- The Trouble With Culture: How Computers Are Calming the Culture Wars
Extra info for Blood Will Out: Essays on Liquid Transfers and Flows
Interrupt the flow in any significant way and you get what neurologist James Park (2011) has termed a ‘body economy’ in ‘septic shock’. Lifeblood, liquidity, and cash transfusions 27 Nor does analogy exhaust the array of literary devices employed to illustrate the atlas of this globalized, financialized body. Synecdoche, for example, which political economists of the nineteenth century such as Marx deployed very effectively, can also come into play. Cash flow, just one among many standardized indicators used to value corporate assets, stands in for liquidity, which in turn stands in for that always desirable but ultimately nebulous condition called economic ‘strength’.
The savage mind (trans. J. Weightman & D. Weightman). Chicago: University Press. ——— 1969a . Totemism (trans. R. Needham). Harmondsworth: Penguin. ——— 1969b . The elementary structures of kinship (trans. H. R. von Sturmer & R. Needham). Boston: Beacon. Lock, M. 2000. The quest for human organs and the violence of zeal. In Violence and subjectivity (eds) V. Das, A. Kleinman, M. Ramphele & P. Reynolds, 271-95. Berkeley: University of California Press. ——— 2002. Twice dead: organ transplants and the reinvention of death.
Stoker, vii-xxxii. Oxford: University Press. MacCormack, C. 1980. Nature, culture and gender: a critique. In Nature, culture and gender (eds) C. MacCormack & M. Strathern, 1-24. Cambridge: University Press. ——— & M. Strathern (eds) 1980. Nature, culture and gender. Cambridge: University Press. Marriott, M. 1976. Hindu transactions: diversity without dualism. ) B. Kapferer, 109-42. Philadelphia, Pa: ISHI Publications. ——— & R. Inden 1977. Towards an ethnosociology of South Asian caste systems. ) K.